2012年4月27日金曜日

Yubari 夕張市から学ぶこと

I have no seen Japan on the front page of New York Times (global edition) for a long time. When I saw the Asian face in the coverage photo I, as I usually do, thought it was on China.

Yubari, a city of just over 10,000 population( with its half being over 65 years old) in Hokkaido, is now famous for the news  as "a city which went bankrupt". Formerly known as a city of the expensive Yubari Melon which I wanted to eat one day at least once in my life when I was little, the economy was hugely dependent on the coal mining industry originally. As the coal mining stopped the money flow of the city also stopped. Those running the city did not have a clear vision to rebuild the city and went bankrupt in 2007.

I learnt there is a new mayor 31 year old, Suzuki originally from Saitama running the city. The story why he became a mayor was written in this article but not so much who was behind the bankruptcy.

There have been many factors but the mismanagement of the city of the former mayor Tetsuji Nakada is one of the biggest ones. He was in the seat for 24 years having built useless facilities, some theme park, museums etc., in a hope to attract tourists to the city. All facilities failed. At the time Nakada was elected, it was late 1970 the bubble economy was on. Whatever he did the over whole economy grew and people in the city did not foresee the outcry waiting in 2007. He did not spend the municipality for the future of Yubari.

You know what? I know many cities were like Yubari in 70s-90s and these cities ailing from the massive deficit could soon declare bankrupt. We must change and make action!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/27/business/global/aging-japanese-town-bets-on-a-young-mayor.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿